OMG! Summertime is coming close to an end. In just a few weeks the children will be returning back to school and if you are like me you want to get every fun activity in before that time. Back to school means money, money, money will be spent on school supplies, shoes, clothes, and book bags; your last few fun activities need to be at the LOW, LOW COST OF FREE.
I have put together a short list of activities (5 to be exact) you can do for the end of summer that are FREE or really, really cheap. (The activities listed are limited to residents of Michigan, particularly for those in the Metro Detroit area)
- Splash pads – there are several parks around Michigan that feature splash pads. What is a splash pad? An outdoor play area with sprinklers, fountains, nozzles, and other devices or structures that spray water. My personal favorite is located in Farmington Hills, MI at Heritage Park – it is completely free and it also features a playground, sandbox, snack bar (this is not free and bring cash because it’s cash only) and plenty of green space for a picnic, soccer or just lounging around. Check out their website for hours of operation and further details here. If this location is not close for you click here for several other splash pads around MI (please note some of the splash pads featured are not free and may come at a cost).
- Kids bowl free – if you and your family like bowling you will like it even better when it’s FREE. When school ended this past year our son’s teacher gave us a card in order for him and his brother to bowl free all summer. Go to https://www.kidsbowlfree.com/ and register your children (must be 15 and under) to bowl 2 free games any day of the week for the remainder of the summer (please check the open lane hours for the bowling alley you choose). Besides paying for shoe rental the bowling is FREE and parents can join in on the bowling at a cost. I plan to get some bowling in before the summer ends. Let me know how you do? I smell a TURKEY before summer end.
- Enjoy the ARTS – the Detroit Institute of Arts is featuring special in-gallery tours designed just for kids and their grown-ups! Tuesdays – Saturdays at 11am you can go on a free tour. Each day features a different gallery. Check out the DIA events page for more information.
- Let them PLAY ALL DAY – Well not all day but definitely wear them out! At Jungle Java the Adults are free and you pay a small fee for the children. What I like best about Jungle Java is that it caters to the Adults – there is room to just chill, there is free wi-fi and a cafe’ to grab a cappuccino; you just sit back and watch the children run themselves silly in the play area. There are 3 locations in MI; located in Farmington Hills, Canton and Clinton Township. Visit their website here for admission prices.
- Let’s Go to the Movies – All around Oakland County you can check out a free movie feature outside. Bring some snacks, lawn chairs and blankets and watch a movie under the stars with your family. This great site has a few locations listed; it may also be worth a Google to find out if there any others around you.
This was a short list but there are a ton of other things you can do for the LOW COST OF FREE (I like saying that). Check out your local library for activities, search PINTEREST for free, fun activities to do with the family (don’t get to consumed though) and as always you can depend on Good Ol’ Google. Enjoy the rest of your summer, I hope you get some fun activities in before its too late. Please share more fun (FREE) activities.